Community development is the process of building community capacity, giving communities greater control over the issues that affect their lives. Community development works with local groups and organisations rather than with individuals or families.
Bega Valley Shire Council engages in community development by co-ordinating and making links between the community and the three levels of government in order to meet the needs of the community. The work of the Community Development team is driven by the strategies identified in Council’s Community Strategic Plan.
The tools of community development in Local Government include:
- Participation - involving people in decisions which affect their lives leads to improved outcomes, builds the capacity of those who are involved in the process, and develops a sense of belonging, ownership and pride in the community.
- Advocacy - representing the issues and interests of the community to the three spheres of government, private and other stakeholders.
- Access and equity - enabling all people to participate in community decisions and processes, and to have equitable use of community services and facilities.
- Capacity building - building people's skills, networks and knowledge will lead to a stronger, more self-reliant community.
- Self help - people learn and gain support from each other, and communities become reliant on their own resources, rather than being dependent on external support.
(Local Government and Shires Associations of NSW Policy Statements, 2010)
Council’s Community Development team is involved in a range of projects and celebrations in partnership with community organisations, these include:
- Youth Week and youth initiatives
- NAIDOC Week Celebrations
- Atlas of Life in the Coastal Wilderness
- Mumbulla Foundation
- Affordable Housing Strategy
- Volunteers Week and olunteering in the Shire
- Bega Valley Togehter community led recovery
- Building people's skills, nd knowledge to develop stronger, more self-reliant communities
- Asset based community development
If you have further interest in community development, please do not hesitate to contactIf you have further interest in community development, please do not hesitate to contact:
Rate This Page
Share This Page