2 August 2019
Bega Valley Shire Library is excited to announce that it has been awarded $11,000 from Telstra’s Tech Savvy Seniors Program to expand on its technology training courses including delivering training in areas such as Candelo and Wallaga Lake.
The library service has been offering free training for several years and this additional funding will enable more courses to be delivered on a consistent basis with new topics available.
Systems Librarian, Megan Jordon-Jones, said that the courses help locals become familiar with a wide range of technologies that they may not otherwise have a chance of using and gives people the confidence to connect online with friends, family and services.
“We’re looking forward to offering communities like Candelo and Wallaga Lake free tech training close to home and as soon as we have dates, we’ll be letting people know.
“We’ll still be offering our popular Internet and iPad sessions, as well as some new courses that have been on trial at Tura Library.
“One new course is an Introduction to Smartphones – mobile phones can do so much more than just make calls and this course will take the mystery out of a range of smartphone features.
“Most importantly, our courses guide people on how to use digital technology safely in a fun, easy-paced and familiar environment,” explained Ms Jordon-Jones.
There are six courses starting soon at Tura and Bega libraries as follows:
• Introduction to Internet 1 - Monday 5 August 2019
• Introduction to Internet 2 - Monday 12 August 2019
• Introduction to Smartphones - Monday 19 August 2019
• Introduction to iPads - Monday 26 August 2019
• iPads 2 - Apps, Media and Podcasts - Monday 2 September 2019
• All About Data - Monday 9 September 2019
• Wi-Fi and Mobile Networks - Monday 16 September 2019
• Introduction to Internet 1 - Tuesday 17 September 2019
• Introduction to Internet 2 - Tuesday 24 September 2019
• Introduction to Smartphones - Tuesday 1 October 2019
• Introduction to iPads - Tuesday 8 October 2019
• iPads 2 - Apps, Media and Podcasts - Tuesday 15 October 2019
• All About Data - Tuesday 22 October 2019
• Wi-Fi and Mobile Networks - Tuesday 29 October 2019
People can select a combination of sessions to suit their needs or attend the classes sequentially. Sessions run for approximately two hours from 10.30am – 12.30pm.
All classes have limited places. To book online go to www.begavalleyshirelibrary.eventbrite.com.au or telephone Tura Marrang Library on (02) 6499 2340, Bega Library on (02) 6499 2127.
More information about Telstra’s Tech Savvy Seniors Program is available at www.telstra.com.au/tech-savvy-seniors.
Photograph: Computers are available for use at all Shire libraries.