1 May 2020
The Modification Application for the construction of a new emergency landfill cell and resource recovery sorting pad at the Central Waste Facility has been approved, clearing the way for construction to start and for bushfire clean-up to begin in earnest.
Director, Assets and Operations, Anthony McMahon said construction work at the Wanatta Lane, North Wolumla facility was likely to commence on Saturday 2 May; taking about four weeks complete.
He said Bega-based civil contractors, RD Miller, had been appointed as the principle contractor for the work.
“We’re pleased the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE) has been able to move quickly to assess this development, allowing the bushfire clean-up to accelerate.”
He said the approval was a modification to the original consent (DA No 2009.563) issued for the Central Waste Facility. The Department of Planning, Industry and Environment assessed the modification application and provided an assessment report with recommendation to Council.
Mr McMahon said as part of the development application process, the Environmental Protection Authority had approved the acceptance of 130,000 cubic metres of asbestos and non-asbestos contaminated fire waste at the site.
He said local environmental consultancy, Local Environmental Solutions, had been working on site conducting flora and fauna assessments and that no threatened flora species had been found to occur on the proposed construction site.
“Local Environmental Solutions will remain on site during construction to further support the relocation of any species discovered during the various construction phases," he said.
Mr McMahon said sorting and processing of non-asbestos contaminated material will occur on site until 31 December 2020 and there was currently no planning approval to continue after that date.
“The State Government is encouraging all impacted Councils to recover as much recycled content as possible. With this in mind, Council has included sorting areas to ensure as much non-asbestos contaminated material can be recycled as possible. This processing has been approved until 31 December, 2020.”
The emergency landfill cell and associated resource recovery sorting pad will deal with both fire-affected material and other inert waste from more than 2000 burnt structures including homes, sheds and outbuildings; not including burnt vegetation.
Meantime, bushfire clean-up contractor Laing O’Rourke has started clearance work in almost 20 localities across the Bega Valley, including Brogo, Bemboka, Cobargo, Coolagolite, Eden, Kiah, Mt Darragh, Wandella and Yowrie.
More than 140 property clearances are complete or underway with an additional 300 Deeds of Release in place across the Bega Valley, allowing Laing O’Rourke to move forward with the clean-up job. Laing O’Rourke can be contacted on 1800 007 539.
Council will continue to work with local residents throughout the landfill cell construction process and has reflected community concerns as part of mitigation measures in the approved plan. The community can get answers to commonly asked questions on Council’s website
Photo: Fire-affected material ready for landfilling at the Central Waste Facility.