Bushfire Recovery Bulletin #13
January 30, 2020
- Weather will build Friday, peaking Saturday and running late into Saturday night.
- Temps in the high 30s to early 40s, strong NE, E and NW winds. However, weather has been unpredictable. Recent experience also points to the fire generating its own weather systems, adding to the dynamic nature of these events. Geography also plays a part and creates localised variables.
- Areas of concern - communities between Tathra and Bermagui, Candelo, Tantawangalo, Wyndham, Rocky Hall, New Buildings, Mt Darragh, Towamba, Burragate, Pericoe, Nethercote.
- If your town or village isn't mentioned, please don't think you are out of harms way. Assess the conditions, look at the advice, stay informed, make your decision early.
- If you are not in a position to mentally and physically defend your home and life, consider leaving to a safer location with friends and family in Merimbula or Bega before midday Friday.
- The Bega Showground and Bermagui Surf Club will be open as evacuation centres from 9am Friday. Planning and consideration is also underway to estabish an evac centre in Merimbula if the need arises.
- Remember - power goes out, communication becomes harder, roads get closed.
Bega Valley Shire Council advises all 'Trunk Main Water' customers across the shire to fill water tanks this afternoon (Jan 30). In all other areas, please limit the use of town water - unattended sprinklers and unnecessary hosing down of houses and property has a significant impact on the water storage and water pressure available to fire fighters.
Regular live updates with Far South Coast Rural Fire Service will be broadcast via Council’s Facebook page at 10:30am and 2:30pm Friday and Saturday, with written updates in the meantime.
More info available at NSW RFS website - https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/
Want to dig deeper, click play on the video recorded at 3:30pm on Jan 30 for more with Superintendent John Cullen. #JohnIsGold
Rate This Page
Share This Page