Citizen of the Year
Everyone in the Bega Valley Shire is invited to nominate fellow citizens for the Citizen of the Year, Senior Citizen of the Year and Young Citizen of the Year, to be awarded on Australia Day.
The awards aim to recognise outstanding achievement during the past year and/or contribution to our local community over a number of years.
- Citizen of the Year
To be eligible, the person must be 26 years or older on 26 January (in the year the award is to be presented) and be an Australian citizen who lives within the Bega Valley Shire.
- Senior Citizen of the Year
To be eligible, the person must be aged 60 or over and be an Australian citizen who lives within the Bega Valley Shire.
- Young Citizen of the Year
To be eligible, the person must be between 16 and 26 years of age on 26 January (in the year the award is to be presented) and be an Australian citizen who lives within the Bega Valley Shire.
While nominations are open all year round for the Australia Day award, nominations do close at the end of November each year for consideration for the upcoming Australia Day.
Guidelines and Criteria
The awards reward and recognise individuals who have made a noteworthy contribution during the current year, and/or give an outstanding service over a number of years, to our local community over and above normal employment duties.
Outstanding contribution and community service includes areas such as education, health, fundraising, charitable and voluntary services, business, sport, arts, the environment, or any other area that contributes to the advancement and wellbeing of a community.
This is your opportunity to recognise and reward someone who inspires you. Nominate someone who makes a real difference in your community and give them the opportunity to be rewarded and recognised for their important contribution.
Who is Eligible?
- Nominees must be Australian citizens and reside in the Bega Valley Shire at the time of nomination.
- Unsuccessful nominees may be renominated in subsequent years.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Awards will not be granted posthumously.
- Sitting state and federal politicians and current vice-regal officers are not eligible. Consideration of retired politicians and officers would be for work in addition to their official duties.
- A person cannot receive a second award in the same category but can be considered for recognition in a separate category in following years. For example, Young Citizen of the Year one year and then Citizen of the Year in another year.
- Nominations will be considered by Council’s Awards Committee, which will determine what awards are presented in any given year.
Bega Valley Shire Council reserves the right to withdraw an award if further information or the recipient’s conduct draws the awards into disrepute.
Bega Valley Shire Council will not be responsible or liable for any claims made by any person, which arises out of, or is in conjunction with, any award nominations.
How to Nominate
When completing the nomination form, select either Citizen of the Year, Senior Citizen of the Year or Young Citizen of the Year. Nomination should detail the nature, duration and impact of the nominee’s contribution to the shire’s community.
In assessing a nomination, the Awards Committee may consider:
- number of hours of work over and above normal employment duties
- benefit to the community from the nominee’s service or contribution
- other outstanding achievements by the nominee
- other recognition of the nominee’s contribution or work, including publicity
- whether the nominee worked as part of a team and their role within the team
- whether the nominee has had assistance from Council, governments or other grants
- whether the nominee has had to overcome any particular difficulties or hurdles
- who has benefited most from the work of the nominee.
The awards will be presented at the community Australia Day event on 26 January.
The selection of recipients will reflect the nominations received and information available to Council’s Awards Committee, who will determine which awards are presented in any given year.
Rate This Page
Share This Page