How to Lodge a Petition with Council
Members of the Community can raise an item with Council by lodging a Petition with a Councillor.
There are some simple rules that need to be followed – outlined in Council’s Code of Meeting Practice. To view the procedure visit our Public Policies page and search for code of meeting practice.
You can use our template to ensure your petition meets the criteria outlined below. Each page of the petition should have the “Petition Statement” outlining the matter to be raised and action the petitioners would like Council to take.
If you need any further information please contact Council’s Executive Assistants to the Mayor and General Manager on 6499 2104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Petitions may be received by the Council on public or individual matters provided that they relate to matters on which Council has the power to act.
- Petitions to Council should be handed to a Councillor for tabling at a Council meeting, and should contain the name, address and contact details of the principle petitioner.
- Persons signing a petition must be over 18 years of age.
- Petitions must include the full name and residential address, a check box to indicate age eligibility, as well as the signature of each petitioner.
- Electronically signed petitions must include the full name and residential address.
- A hard copy of any electronic petition should be provided to a Councillor for tabling at a Council meeting.
- The General Manager will determine if any action is required once a petition has been tabled or a Councillor may provide a notice of motion to accompany the petition.
Rate This Page
Share This Page