Bega Valley Shire CouncilBega Valley Shire Council

Environment Protection Licences

The sewage treatment plants (STPs) at Eden, Merimbula, Tura Beach, Tathra, Bega and Bermagui are licensed by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (POEO Act). The village STPs of Wolumla, Candelo, Kalaru and Cobargo are unlicensed due to their small size.

Under the POEO Act, we are required to:

  • Comply with the conditions of the environment protection licences (EPLs)
  • Pay annual administrative fees and, in some cases, additional load-based fees
  • Submit annual returns, which are statements of our compliance with the licence conditions and a report of the pollutant loads generated by each plant
  • Notify the EPA of any leaks, spills and other pollution incidents that can harm the environment.

EPL conditions relate to pollution prevention and monitoring, cleaner production through recycling and reuse and the implementation of best practice.

The EPLs for each of our licensed STPs may be viewed on the Environment Protection Authority web site.  Follow the link, select the ‘Licences’ option and enter one of the licence numbers below to view the environment protection licence for that particular STP.

STP and EPL number:

  • Eden - Licence number 1740
  • Merimbula - Licence number 1741
  • Tura Beach - Licence number 4367
  • Tathra - Licence number 347
  • Bega - Licence number 4120
  • Bermagui - Licence number 1738

EPA requirement for publishing monitoring data

The EPA requires licence effluent quality monitoring data to be published on our website for each licensed sewage treatment plant. This data can be found on the Sewage Treatment Plant page.

EPA requirement for publishing Pollution Incident Response Management Plans

The EPA also requires holders of environmental protection licences to make parts of their Pollution Incident Response Management Plans publicly available. The Pollution Incident Response Management Plans for each of our licensed STPs can be found on the Pollution Incident Management page.

Related Pages

Related Categories

Rate This Page

Share This Page

Explore Our Site