Thursday 21 July 2016
Those with experience in regional tourism are encouraged to nominate for one of the paid board positions on the new body covering the region.
Earlier this month, the NSW Minister for Tourism Stuart Ayres, announced that the existing Regional Tourism Organisations (RTO) would be disbanded.
Six Destination Networks will take their place across NSW. The Networks will oversee the marketing and management of the Baird Government’s investment in tourism.
The move will see Sapphire Coast come together with Snowy Mountains and Eurobodalla and regions around ACT as the Southern NSW Destination Network.
In announcing the changes the Minister said changes would result in increased funding for regional tourism programs from $7 to $11 million, along with guaranteed funding for the operations of each new Destination Network.
The introduction of skills based boards for each Network is also part the industry shake up, with board applications open until July 31.
“It’s important that we have strong representation from the Sapphire Coast on the new Destination Network - Southern NSW Board,” Anthony Osborne, Manager of Sapphire Coast Tourism said.
“We have local talent up to the task, people who can work collaboratively with neighbouring regions for everyone’s benefit,” Mr Osborne said.
The Southern NSW Board will be made up of five Directors, each receiving an annual fee of $10,000 and a Chair earning $20,000.
Shane O’Leary, Council’s Economic Development Manager is confident the Shire will adapt well to the change.
“Sapphire Coast Tourism has always taken that bigger view, and seen the value in working together to build the industry,” he said.
“This new structure replaces the previous ‘South Coast RTO and strengthens, formalises and better funds a way of working Sapphire Coast Tourism has already embraced.”
More information is available from the Destination NSW website.
Both Mr Osborne and Mr O’Leary are also happy to speak with any locals keen to nominate for a Board position.