Filming and photography in the shire

Filming and photography applications and guidelines.

Council supports commercial filmmakers, videographers and photographers who wish to capture vision and images in the local area. This includes the use of drones.

If you would like to film or photograph in and around Council owned or managed property (town halls, community centres or swimming pools), in open spaces and outdoor areas (parks and playing fields) or on bridges, roads or footpaths, you must first apply for permission through our Public Use of Land Officer.

Requests will be reviewed considering potential risks and impacts for other users at these locations.

Filming and photography across the shire is governed by the Filming Related Legislation Amendment Act 2008 which sets out to encourage and facilitate commercial filming on public lands and property.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority guidelines for the use of drones can be found on the CASA website.

How do I know if I need permission?

If you are planning to film for commercial purposes on any Council owned or managed infrastructure, you will need to seek permission.

When do I need to submit the form?

You need to submit your form at least 10 days before you wish to film if there is no impact on traffic or 30 days if there is likely to be an impact on traffic. This ensures we have adequate time to review your request, seek further information if required, and let you know the outcome.

How do I submit the form?

Download the PDF form below, complete the details and email it to

What happens after the form is submitted?

Our Public Land Use Officer will review your application and perform any necessary checks before responding to you by email, either with permission or to seek further details.

For more information please read Council's Film and Video Policy 1.05 - Procedure 1.05.1 Guidelines to filming in the Bega Valley Shire on our  Public Policies page by searching for the term ‘filming’.

Submit your application



Was this helpful?

Contact Us