Safety when renovating

Make sure you are not working with hazardous material and that you put safety first.

Your home-improvement may be exempt from a formal approval process

The NSW Housing Code is a planning policy which simplifies the process for approvals of alterations, additions and new developments. If you are planning on renovating or extending your home, or improving your property in any way it is possible the work may be exempt from development approval, or be a Complying Development, which means it can be fast-tracked. 

Click here to go straight to the legislation, and see exactly what work comes under the category of Exempt and Complying Development.

Safety when renovating

Identification of asbestos

Asbestos cement (or AC Sheet) is regularly encountered during demolition of houses built prior to 1987. This is also known as bonded asbestos. Asbestos cement sheeting and normal fibro can only be identified by trained experts. If you are concerned that you may have asbestos, contact Council on 02 6499 2222 and request the assistance of a public health inspector.

Fibrous asbestos (friable asbestos)

Insulation material in older buildings may also consist of fibrous asbestos material, (friable asbestos). Friable asbestos material means any material that contains asbestos and is in the form of a powder or can be crumbled, pulverised, or reduced by hand pressure when dry.

Lead paint

Homes built before the 1970s may still have surfaces coated with lead-based paint. Particles of lead-based paint are harmful and pregnant women, children and pets should not be present in areas where lead-based paint is being removed or where clean-up is occurring. For safety guidelines on working with lead-based paint please go to the Office of Environment and Heritage.

Was this helpful?

Contact Us