Building & Certification

Information on what you need to do before you start building or renovating and how the construction phase is managed.

The process in simple terms

Building a home or renovating can be an exciting but daunting process. Bega Valley Shire Council has tried to make the process easier by outlining the steps in simple terms. The first thing you should do is research, whether it’s information about builders and building contracts, changes to the way the industry is regulated or simply the latest materials and environmentally-friendly designs,  it’s a good idea to have some knowledge.  This simple but important advice can save you time and money in the long term - whether you are an owner-builder or employing a licensed builder to project manage your job.

These following sites may be a good place to start:

Before you start building

Development consent has been given, now what do you need to do?

Complying Development Certificate

If you have applied for and received a Complying Development Certificate then please go to Council’s Appointing a Principal Certifying Authority page.

Construction certificate

Before any work starts you will need to have a Construction Certificate. The Construction Certificate ensures conditions specified in the development consent and relevant legislation in the Building Code of Australia are satisfied. It can be issued by either Council or an accredited private certifier.

  • Construction certificate application form
    If you apply to Council for your Construction Certificate you can fill out the same application form as you filled out to obtain your development consent. Some of the information you will be asked to submit will be the same information as you provided with your Development Application (DA) such as site and elevation plans and BASIX plans. However your Construction Certificate application will require more detailed technical plans, including engineering details and specifications.

    Different developments and construction will involve different requirements and Council will let you know of the specific information you need to provide, however for a guide please go to Council’s Application Guidelines, also go to the Environment Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000, Part 3 of Schedule 1.

  • Issue of the Construction Certificate
    Council or an Accredited Private Certifier will issue a Construction Certificate after they are satisfied that:
  1. The Construction Certificate plans and specifications are consistent with the development consent
  2. The development complies with the Building Code of Australia and all relevant technical standards
  3. All required conditions of development consent have been complied with
  4. All fees and contributions have been paid
  • Council or private certifier
    To apply for a Construction Certificate you can appoint either Council’s team or an accredited private certifier. You will also need to decide who  you want to be your Principal Certifying Authority to take you through the inspections process during the life of your construction work (after the Construction Certificate has been issued). If you initially had your Construction Certificate issued by a private certifier you may still appointed Council to be your Principal Certifying Authority and conduct inspections and vice versa. If you used Council to issue your Construction Certificate you can appoint a private certifier to conduct inspections. For more information please see Council’s Appointing a Principal Certifying Authority page and the Building Professionals Board.

Additional approvals

As well as a Construction Certificate you may need to gain additional approval for other work such as connecting to Council’s water and sewerage services or building a driveway. These additional approvals under Section 68 of the Local Government Act can only be authorised by Council. Work that will require additional approval is also listed in Council’s Application Guidelines. These include:

  • Plumbing and drainage works associated with a new or existing building
  • Connection to any new or existing building to Council's reticulated sewerage system
  • Installation of an on-site effluent disposal system (septic tank)
  • Stormwater drainage works

Apply for additional approvals by ticking the additional approvals box on the application form and then completing the additional forms. A list of all relevant forms is available on the Application Forms page.  Note also that only Council is authorised to carry out plumbing and drainage inspections.

Payment of fees, contributions

Go to Council’s Fees and Charges for costs involved in obtaining a Construction Certificate and other associated approvals. Alternatively you can contact and ask for a quote for Construction Certificate.

Notice of Commencement

Make sure Council is notified of the intended commencement of work at least two days prior to the start of any work.  This can be done by completing the Notice of Commencement Form and lodging the form with Council.

After building starts

How the construction phase is managed.

NOTE: As per Section 10.17  EP&A Act 1979, residential construction during the COVID-19 pandemic is permissible on Sundays and Public Holidays until 31 March 2022.


Construction site maintenance

  • Signage needs to identify the site, the builder’s information and Principal Certifying Authority information
  • A builder’s toilet needs to be available in accordance with WorkCover Authority of NSW requirements
  • Ensure environment controls are in place. For example sediment fence; hoardings; dust control
  • Heritage items must be protected
  • Ensure construction waste management is well-managed
  • Stick to agreed hours of work to mitigate noise impacts and traffic and parking impacts
  • Provision of storage, including chemical storage


The Principal Certifying Authority will conduct mandatory critical stage inspections throughout construction. Inspections ensure work is going to plan and is within the agreed guidelines. If Council is appointed as the Principal Certifying Authority, your builder will need to contact Council at least 48 hours before an inspection is required.  If you are an owner-builder, you will need to contact Council at least 48 hours before an inspection is required.

Issue of Occupation Certificate

Prior to the occupation or use of any building an Occupation Certificate must be issued by the Principal Certifying Authority. The Occupation Certificate verifies the Principal Certifying Authority is satisfied the building is suitable to occupy or use in terms of the requirements of the Building Code of Australia and relevant development consent conditions. Fire safety certificates may need to be presented before an Occupation Certificate can be issued.

Need more help?

If you do not feel able to prepare your own application engaging professional assistance may add to your costs in the short term, but may also reduce delays and frustration and even refusal of your application. Please also feel free to call Council on 02 6499 2222 or view our pre-lodgement advice page.

Was this helpful?

Contact Us