Bega Valley Shire CouncilBega Valley Shire Council

Rate & Fees Relief

Fee relief is available for people who lost their homes or businesses in the 2020 Bega Valley Bushfires.

Council Rates Relief

The NSW Government will pay the full cost of your council rates from 1 January through to 31 December 2020. To be eligible you must:

  • be a home, farm or business property owner in a bushfire declared disaster area
  • have had your property deemed damaged beyond repair by the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) and/or Emergency Information Coordination Unit (EICU).

You're not eligible if the only structure damaged or destroyed is an outbuilding on the property such as a shed.

You do not need to apply for this council rates relief.

Service NSW is working with local councils in bushfire-affected areas to ensure that eligible property owners receive the benefit.

If you believe your property has suffered damage beyond repair, and you did not receive any notification of eligibility, call Service NSW on 13 77 88. Have a copy of your recent council rates notice on hand when you call.

Rates Payment Assistance

Council understand that many people impacted by drought, bushfires and COVID-19 are finding it difficult to meet their financial commitments, including those to Council. To help with this, Council has adopted a Financial Hardship Assistance procedure for the period from April 2020 to June 2021 which allows impacted ratepayers to apply for an interest free hardship payment plan. read more »»»

Development Application Fee Waivers

The NSW Government and Council have also waived the following government fees:

BASIX Certificate and Planning Reform Fund fees – from 4 February 2020, these fees will be waived on all development applications related to homes damaged or destroyed in the bushfires. Affected property owners can contact the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment to arrange for a BASIX Certificate to be issued free of charge. The dedicated BASIX Bushfire Recovery Hotline number is 1300 054 464.

All fees associated with the lodgement of a development application, including any pre-lodgement advice, or complying development certificate and other certificates for current owners to rebuild their lost or damaged buildings or subsequent inspections.

Other Council Assistance

Council has also waived the following fees and charges:

  • Fees for the reconnection of meters for properties who have had their water meter destroyed by fire.
  • Those who have lost their homes won’t be charged for water used since the last time their meter was read until a new meter is installed.
  • Residential and non-residential sewerage customers who have lost their homes or businesses will receive a credit of 50% of the annual sewer and water access charges.
  • Fire damaged pressure sewer systems will be repaired free of charge.
  • Tree assessment fees on bushfire affected properties.
  • Library charges for books lost due to bushfires and photocopying of replacement documents for bushfire affected residents.

NSW Government Approvals Waived for Some Building Works & Temporary Accommodation Solutions

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has waived approvals for some building works and temporary accommodation solutions as follows:

  • Demolition of bushfire affected buildings
  • Temporary repairs and non-structural permanent repairs
  • Temporary installation of a shipping container for storage purposes for up to two years.
  • Temporary accommodation options for people affected by bushfires
  • Extended stays in a caravan park or camping ground for up to two years.
  • Installation of a moveable dwelling – such as a caravan – on land for up to two years.

Click here for more information

 If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Recovery Support Service on (02) 6499 2345. We’re here to help


Related Pages

Rate This Page

Share This Page

Explore Our Site